I became a father last year 10th of June when my daughter Glenda was born. Since then my life has changed, I no longer have as much time for myself as I like, I need to bathe her and change her diaper, and just spending time playing with her. Though it can be tiring, but it is also a joy to me.
As Christian parents, it is a God given responsibility to bring up a child. Children have impressionable minds and parents are given good opportunity to teach them the right values. I have read some Christian writings about bringing up a child, and below are some important points that I am learning.
- Set a good example to your child, your child can observe you.
- Spend time with your child, play with them, develop the bond with them.
- Teach your child the bible at an early age, tell them bible stories, tell them about Jesus (Deut 11:19)
- Have family worship and show your child how to pray (Deut 11:19)
- Discipline and correct your child when he or she is naughty, cane the child if necessary (Proverbs 13:24)
- Don’t exasperate your child, don’t make them bitter against you (Ephesians 6:4)
- Finally father and mother need to love one another, don’t give your child a broken family. When children see that parents love one another, they have the security.
It is not easy to be good parents, that is why prayer helps, pray to God for grace and strength, pray for your child, may God help us parents to preserve godly seeds in these evil days.