Tuesday, August 29, 2006

A Man of One Book.

"I have thought I am a creature of day, passing through life as an arrow through the air. I am a spirit come from God, and returning to God: just hovering over the great gulf till, a few moments hence, I am no more seen; I drop into an unchangeable eternity! I want to know one thing... the way to Heaven; how to land safe on that happy shore?

God Himself has condescended to teach the way; for this very end He came from Heaven. He hath written it down in a Book. O give me that Book! I have it; here is Knowledge enough for me. Let me be homo unius libri (a man of one book).

Here then am I, far from the busy ways of men. I sit down alone; Only God is here. In His presence I open, I read His book; for this end, to find the way to Heaven. Is there a doubt concerning the meaning of what I read? Does anything appear Dark or Intricate? I lift up heart to the Father of Lights; 'Lord, is it not Thy Word, if any man lack wisdom, let him ask of God?' 'Thou givest liberally, and upbraidest not'. Thou hast said: 'if any be willing to do Thy will he shall know'. I am willing to do, let me know, Thy will.

I then search after and consider parallel passages of Scripture, 'comparing spiritual things with spiritual'. I meditate thereon with all the attention and earnestness of which my mind is capable. If any doubt still remains, I consult those who are experienced in the things of God; and then the writings whereby, being dead, they yet speak. And what I thus learn I teach.

Yet, how far is love, even with many wrong opinions, to be preferred before truth itself without Love! We may die without the Knowledge of many truths and yet be carried into Abraham's bossom. But, if we die without Love, what will Knowledge avail? Just as much as it avails the devil and his angels.

The God of Love forbid we should ever make the trial! May He prepare us for the Knowledge of all truth, by filling our hearts with all His love and with all Joy and Peace in Believing!"

John Wesley; within his sermons.

No comments:

Post a Comment